Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Real Crunchy Step: An Epic Fail

by Denise at Better Than My Best


They were supposed to be the lemons that kept on giving. I had grand plans of peeling the lemons and making candied lemon peels, making a lemonade concentrate, then doing something spectacular with the leftover sugar syrup I used to make the candied lemon peels.

Instead, they should have fallen under the "Lemon Law." When life gave me these lemons, it laughed at my attempt to make lemonade out of them.

I'm still not exactly sure where I went wrong, but because I've successfully made lemonade before, I've narrowed it down to either A - the lemons were no longer good to use(but still looked very pretty), or B - I should have used a citrus juicer and not a regular juicer. A regular juicer juices up the pith and seeds along with the juice, perhaps that made it more bitter?

The lemonade tasted like sickening sweet sugar syrup with a very bitter lemon squeezed in it. The candy is close to being ok, but the rind is still a little tough, and the left over pith is mushy. I haven't touched the left over syrup.

I find that many crunchy steps I take need a little tweaking, this one will just need to be re-done! Hopefully next time will be successfull.

Fortunately, the day was not a total waste. I picked this beauty from my garden and we had it for dinner:


It was the first squash of the season, and it was yummy.


Don't want to miss any exciting announcements? Sign up for my email list in the upper right hand corner of the page! And thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...