Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Real Crunchy Step: Seasoning and Salad Dressing

by Denise at Better Than My Best



My new favorite salad consists of Romaine Lettuce, cucumbers (from my garden!), strawberries, feta cheese, and walnuts, topped with a balsamic vinegarette. Although store bought balsamic vinegarette is ok, I never find it to be as good as homemade restaurant dressing, so for this week's crunchy step, I decided to try to make my own.

I found a recipe for a creamy balsamic vinegarette, but it called for less than crunchy ingredients like mayonnaise and something called Morton's Nature's Seasoning. I could make my own mayonnaise, but it would only last a day or two, so I decided a little mayonnaise would be fine this time, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a seasoning mix. There are several different homemade recipes for this seasoning mix, so I picked one that was suggested to use with the homemade balsamic vinegarette dressing.

The Seasoning:

1/3 cup of salt
1/4 cup of black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup onion powder
2 1/2 TBL sugar
1TBL parsley flakes
2 tsp celery seeds

Since this would make a ton of seasoning, I halfed it. (There are 4 TBL in a 1/4 cup, and for the 1/3 cup of salt, I just eyeballed half of 1/3 cup). I also didn't have quite enough garlic powder. I definitely bought a new bottle a couple of weeks ago but could not find it. I'm sure the next time I go into my spice cabinet, it will be right in front of my face, laughing at me.


Have a cute little girl mix it up for you, until it looks like cigarette ash.


Watch out, all this seasoning mixed together kind of burns your nose.


I poured it into my empty garlic powder bottle. I hear this seasoning is good on all kinds of things. I'll have to google some recipes.


Salad Dressing:

Recipe from www.mylifeasamrs.com

4 cloves garlic, grated
3 TBL mayo
2 TBL lemon juice
1 TBL Dijon mustard
1 TBL Sugar
2 tsp Nature's Seasoning
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Mix everything but the vinegar and oil. Then mix in vinegar. Then slowly mix in oil. I failed to read the mix in the vinegar and oil seperately, and I think it does matter as mine does not seem to be as creamy as the picture in the original recipe. I also thought it smelled amazing, but the taste was a tad strong. I might lessen the amount of seasoning the next time I make it.


Tonight my vegetarian Sister-in-Law, who introduced me to my new favorite salad, is coming over for dinner. I hope she likes the dressing!



Don't want to miss any exciting announcements? Sign up for my email list in the upper right hand corner of the page! And thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...