Friday, August 10, 2012

Crunchy Step: Homemade Sour Cream

Post by blog administrator Shannon.

I've shared before how much our family loves tacos.  Now that we have our own taco seasoning and Denise has taught us how to make tortillas there are really only 2 things left to make:  Cheese and sour cream.  Sour cream is so much easier than cheese making so I went with that of course.

In fact it was so easy I didn't take pictures.  My bad.

Ingredients
1 Cup Cream (or 1/2 cup cream & 1/2 Cup Whole milk) $1.15
1/4 Cup Buttermilk $.15

Pour both into a glass container with a lid.  Shake a little (just to get them mixed).  Set on the counter for 24 hours and poof, sour cream.  You should chill it before eating it.  If you are worried about leaving the dairy on the counter don't be!  The enzymes in the buttermilk take care of all that!

The total cost was $1.30 which is about the same as a container of sour cream depending on what brand you get.  However mine was also organic and organic sour cream cost about $1.60-$2.00 for 8oz.  So still a savings of $.30- $.70 and actually more convenient than running to the store if I forget sour cream (which of course I use a list and never forget anything but if I did that would be really inconvenient)

Don't want to miss any exciting announcements? Sign up for my email list in the upper right hand corner of the page! And thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...