Friday, August 3, 2012

Real Crunchy Step: Bug Spray

All the chemicals in bug spray really freak me out.  DEET at best causes eye and skin irritations.  At worst some studies have linked DEET to neurological issues and even death.  I've tried various ways to not use any bug spray on my children, including making them eat a pickle everyday for the vinegar, but nothing has been successful.  I've purchased really good all natural sprays but they are expensive.  So finally I have made my own.  Unfortunately I haven't tested it out a ton.  We put it on for a little bit this afternoon and had descent results but I'll need to send everyone out in the evening and see what happens.  I will update when I do.

Ingredients:
1 8oz spray bottle $1
4oz of boiled or distilled water $0
4oz witch hazel $1.75
10 drops tea tree oil $.10
15 drops lavendar oil $.25
15 drops peppermint oil $.25
10 drops cedarwood oil $.10
(You could also use Citronella, Clove, Lemongrass, Rosemary,Cajeput, Eucalyptus, or Catnip according to Wellness Mama)


Mix it up.  Spray it on.  Obviously very easy and the total cost was $3.45 ($2.45 if you already have a spray bottle.)  An 8oz bottle of regular (DEET filled) bug spray cost $4-$5 depending on brand.  An all natural bug spray could run you $6 or more for 8oz so the cost is definitely less to make your own

A bonus to this bug spray is that it smells wonderful!  If it doesn't work well I'll have to mess with the oils and maybe make it not as nice smelling but I'm hopeful that this combo will work!



Don't want to miss any exciting announcements? Sign up for my email list in the upper right hand corner of the page! And thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...