Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Real Crunchy Step: Pickles

by Denise at Better Than My Best

This year, for the first time, my husband planted cucumbers in our garden. I don't know if it's the kind of year for cucumbers, or we have the right soil, sunlight, and water for them, but apparently, we can grow some cucumbers. We have a ton. In an effort to try to use all the cucumbers, I looked up some pickle recipes.

I love what my family calls a "Jewish" pickle. (Don't worry, it's not offensive, I'm a 1/4 Jewish and I'm not offended). It's the kind of pickle that you would see in a barrel at a real Jewish deli. It tastes like a dill pickle, but better.

I looked up Jewish Pickle with no results. I looked up dill pickles, but didn't have all the ingredients (including dill). I looked up barrel pickle, and this is what I came up with (from Mr. Food):

7 cups sliced cucumbers (this was about 4 of my cucumbers)
1 cup sliced onion
1 green bell pepper, finely sliced (also from my garden!)
1 cup sugar (I only used 3/4 cup)
1 cup white vinegar
1 Tbl salt
1 tsp celery seed

Combine cucumbers, onions, and peppers
combine the rest of the ingredients, then pour over the vegetables.
cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours

I put the pickles in a shallow glass baking dish so the vinegar mixture could mostly cover the cucumbers.


The result? They were delicious. They did not taste like a barrel pickle, but more a less sweet bread and butter pickle. I jarred up about a third of this batch for Shannon, then my husband and I ate the rest within a couple of days. (The recipe says this will last three months in the fridge, but seriously, they are so good there's no way it would last that long). I felt it was very refreshing!

I'm so excited that I have 3 newly picked cucumbers just waiting to become pickles!






Don't want to miss any exciting announcements? Sign up for my email list in the upper right hand corner of the page! And thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...